HAPPY NEW YEAR!
If you are contemplating adopting more healthy lifestyle behaviours in 2014 – Go for it!
I would encourage you to try to eat at least 5 portions of fruit and veg a day for a month to start with, and see how much better you feel.
To help you get to grips with what a portion size looks like I’ve weighed out 80g portions for you to look at. The juice is 150ml unsweetened veg juice.
The Following NHS Choices website goes into more detail, so worth checking that out too.
A few important things to note:
- Beans and pulses count only for 1 portion no matter how much you eat.
- Dried, tinned and frozen are all fine and count.
- Fruit and veg served in cooked dishes count.
- Juice can only ever count as one of your 5 a day – mainly because the fibre has been removed.
- Smoothies can count as 2 of your 5 a day, as long as they contain 80g of whole fruit/veg.
- Potatoes don’t count.
All the best for 2014.