I’ve absolutely loved the 2014 ‘friendly’ Commonwealth Games’ in Glasgow, with 71 nations entertaining us for the last 11 days and raising £5 million pounds for good causes. The games were said to be ‘the best games ever’ by the President of the Commonwealth Games in his speech at the closing ceremony. From my perspective anything that motivates people to be more active and live healthier lifestyles is definitely something to celebrate. My Highlights were:
- Jodie Stimpson winning England’s first gold medal of the Games in the women’s triathlon. I can’t even begin to compare myself with Jodie, but I have done a few sprint and super sprint triathlon’s and understand how hard it is to train for 3 disciplines. Jodie you are amazing!
- The Brownlee brothers are my other triathlon hero’s. Watching Alistair Brownlee winning gold in the men’s triathlon followed by his brother Jonny getting the silver medal 11 seconds later. Superb!
- Matthew Hudson-Smith helping win 4x400m men’s relay gold. So humble, out of his comfort zone and out of this world!
- 16 year old Claudia Fragapane being the first Englishwoman to win four golds at one Games. OMG!
- England’s 20 year old Zoe Smith beating Nigeria’s Ndidi Winifred and Welsh veteran Michaela Breeze to win the women’s 58kg weightlifting. Amazing!
- Married couple Paul and Joanna Drinkhall winning the table tennis mixed doubles. How special is that!
- Lizzy Armistead triumphing in the women’s cycling road race to win gold, only made possible by team effort especially Emma Pooley who went on to secure silver. Truly inspirational. Loved it!
- England’s Nicola Adams beating Northern Ireland’s Michaela Walsh to become the first female Commonwealth Games boxing champion. WOW!
- Jack Laugher and partner Chris Mears storming to victory in the 3m diving synchro finals. Brilliant!
The list goes on and on and on… I’ve loved the star shaped stage at the closing ceremony, Lulu, Kylie and a brilliant rendition of ‘Walzing Matilda’! Already looking forward to the next Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast in 2018! Val